lundi 7 janvier 2008

The (main) reasons why I still don't take the "Emerging" thing seriously

- The "Emerging" guys may be on the fringe of the Evangelical movement, but they are still Evangelicals nonetheless. I am not Evangelical. Why should I care?

-To be Emergent (or Emerging? I could never figure out what the difference is) you apparently need to be a 30-something, white middle-class, Anglo-saxon male. Not very relevant to a 30-something white working-class Gallo-roman male. Why should I care?

-I agree that anti-intellectualism is one of Evangelicalism's main plagues. The pretention to be an intellectual, however, is certainly not the cure. So far, I have not been impressed by what the EC has to say. Why should I care?

-I grew up in mailine Protestantism. I know what theological liberalism is. I know how to recognize it. And well, sorry, when I read most of the Emerging stuff, I can smell a familiar odor. I've already been there, I've already done that. Why should I care?

-It's just a fad. One more of those stinking, useless, (money-making), hollow fads. I walk daily in front of centuries-old churches, one of my ancestors helped Calvin frame the French Confession, my known ancestry goes back to the 12th Century. Why should I care?

-The EC might ask some good questions. So far, I have not been convinced by its answers. Wy should I care?

1 commentaire:

Dawn a dit…

Don't forget that to be emergeant, you have to have a goatee, and you don't have one anymore.